|Title:||Kazakhstan: Ust-Kamenogorsk Solid Waste Management - Capacity Building and Corporate Development|
|Dates: ||February, 2022 - February, 2025|
The EBRD is helping the City to improve its SWM system which has suffered from many years of underinvestment. The Project will focus on establishing a modern integrated SWM facility with higher standards of environmental and waste management through (i) reduced waste disposal, (ii) lower CO2 and methane emissions, and (iii) increased re-use and recovery of resources.
- Institutional strengthening of the SWM sector, including:
- Supporting the Company''s capacity building and corporate development programme to ensure sustainability of its operations and its ability to meet the EBRD''s loan covenants.
- Development and implementation of a structured approach to raising public awareness to encourage source-separation, recycling and resource efficiency.
- Minimising the adverse impact of the project on the vulnerable section of the population with a focus on ensuring equality between men and women.
- Revise legislation for SWM in the City to establish effective financial, operational and environmental management, as well as clearly outline the roles of each stakeholder
Assist to improve SWM service planning and monitoring, including introduction of necessary IT solutions
Assist to enhance the tendering and contractual arrangements for SWM sector operations, including waste collection and transportation, with introduction of long-term service contracts based on the quality incentives
Develop a new LGF setting methodology based on the charge levied upon a weight (in tonnes) of waste to ensure it is at the cost recovery level and LGF is integrated into the relevant municipal solid waste service contracts
Advise on end user tariffs setting (including term of tariff, frequency of review, mechanism for calculation of the return on investments), subsidising, billing and collection to secure financial stability of the sector
Increase public awareness about the importance of adequate SWM, including to encourage source-separation, recycling and resource efficiency
Develop a realistic and applicable sector development action plan, that addresses the prospects and constraints of private sector involvement in SWM and sector modernization.
Develop and introduce a Public Service Contract ("PSC") between the City Akimat and the Company
Maintain satisfactory accounting, cost control and management information systems and books of account in accordance with IFRS starting from a date to be agreed with the Bank in the Loan Agreement
Develop a methodology and standards for annual publication of performance targets on the Company website.